Tuesday, May 31, 2005

Future's so bright...


I've decided that it's high time that the world took notice of just how awesome I am. Seriously. Have you met me? Were you not amazed? Remember? You had to put on sunglasses you were so dazzled.

The question remains: why isn't the world yet paying me my deserved attention? This, this, readers, surely baffles you all as well. After all, you've been reading these gems faithfully these almost two years. Sure I didn't update for over eight months that time. But even then, you sat, fixed in your seat, punching F5 every few minutes, waiting for the page to reload and then clicking the 'Reload' function on your internet browser's toolbar because you were certain your Function key had stopped working properly and then sighing disconsolately when you saw that I had indeed not yet updated.

I'll tell you readers, the answer to the question: I don't know. I've already done so much. I remember getting all 'E's in grade school. I was the star second baseman and goalie for my little league sports teams. I turned in all of my assignments in on time in Junior High and surely stood out in High School when I scored 3s, 4s, and 5s on my Advanced Placement tests. I even won an award or two in high school. No I don't remember what they were for. It was high school. I was probably stoned. And then! After High School! College! Yes! I graduated college! Is that not exceptional? And still the universe paid me no attention. Sure, I went to a school with 35,000+ students, but don't they remember me? Hi! It's me! Remember, I worked at two video stores while earning my degree in Film Studies! Remember...?

The truth is, readers, I'm about as ordinary as you can get. I'm not tall. I'm not short. I'm not fat. I'm not thin. I'm smarter than some and dumber than others. I have an OK job and it pays the bills.

Look, I don't mean to get so heavy on you guys. I'm all right, I promise. I just wish that I could point at something and say, "Look. That was me. I did that." And I don't have that.

What I do have makes me happier than most though. I have a loving family. A loving family-in-law, and a wonderful, wonderful, wonderful and yet again wonderful fiancée. And maybe that's all that matters.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

My Dear Jeff,

I know many things at which you can point. Some should not be mentioned in mixed company. And some run a little too close to Say Anything.

Suffice to say, I point at you. You can point at me. And you are, after all, only 25.

Warmest Regards,

Jennifer L. Merriss

7:32 PM  
Blogger Margaret said...

Please, no more drinking and melancholy thoughts! Such things are so, like, collegiate. Look around and see the people pointing! Point at them! Chin up! Onward!

12:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home