Tuesday, June 07, 2005

My Dirty Little Secret


So I know that my last post may have you all fooled. I know that you all think that I'm a total nerd. I admit, I relish the idea. I wear my nerdiness like an electronic keycard that I wear on a retractable clip that permits me access to all sorts of nerdy club functions that take place behind closed doors. Granted those club functions are all lame, but still.

And I'm not just nerdy, no! I'm a well-informed nerd! Which boosts be into the group of superior-minded nerd bastards that ridicule other nerds. I mean, being nerdy is one thing, but any 20-sided die loving, basement-dwelling, black tshirt-wearing shut-in can be considered a nerd. No, if one is a nerd, one needs to be on the cutting edge in order to reach the social status at which it is permissible to ridicule those animals. One needs to know of all emerging technologies, their consequences and applications and what group of nerds is most likely to be excited about that technology in order to gain that ability

And that's me! I was using BitTorrent when you all were still in short pants! I had half the world's music collection downloaded before Napster came out! I was overclocking my PC when you had to do it with jumpers, solder and elicit BIOSes! I was a nerd!

...

But now, that's all ending. My reign is through. I uhh, I have to admit something: I don't know what podcasting is. At least, I think I don't know what it is. And that's why I'm ashamed. I should know what podcasting is. And not just, "Oh sure. Podcasting. That's where you can stream online radio onto your iPod. Podcasting." I should have a 100% grasp on what the fuck this is and why people are excited about it. As it is, I just can't get excited about it. Mainly because the people that are excited about it are from all over. There's no way to categorize these people, so that renders me unable to determine the user base which would help me figure out just what the fuck this phenomenon is. But so far, nothing. I don't know. I don't know.

Are you excited about podcasting? Maybe I'm not missing something. Maybe that's all there is to it and only idiots are excited about it. That would be fortunate. Then I could ridicule them without even knowing what the technology is.

Let me know, huh? Nerd.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jeffy, I even know what podcasting is! And it's exciting because KCRW's Morning Becomes Eclectic is only on from 9-12 and most of us are working during that time, so we can download it for later. Of course, I don't have an iPod, so I won't be downloading anything. Because I am NOT a nerd. Except I am an NPR listener, which is where I heard about podcasting and paid attention despite not having the equipment to make use of the information. So perhaps I am. A nerd.

6:04 PM  
Blogger Constant said...

KCRW is awesome! Discovered it after moving down here. I may just try this podcasting thing after all...

9:28 PM  
Blogger Constant said...

Ah crap, just checked the site. Morning Becomes Eclectic isn't avaialble for podcasting...none of the music shows are...fooey!

9:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home