Wednesday, November 02, 2005

Like Marshmallows with Guitars


Thanks to Scotty, I've really been into American Analog Set recently and so jumped at the chance to see them live when they came to Bottom of the Hill last weekend. Bought dem tickets of the intarweb and everything so's in case the show sold out I could still go. 'Cuz I'm anal retentive like that and must make sure that all activities go according to plan.

Anyway, the show was awesome. The opening act sucked, but that's not really a surprise, is it? Second act? Better. Not exactly my thing, but definitely approved for head-bobbing. But it was clear as soon as they came on stage that AmAnSet knew what they were doing. Just fantastic. Of course, it was after midnight by that time and as I am old and sad, I was quite sleepy. The prolonged mellow strumming and xylophoning probably didn't help my level of alertness either, though. They rocked so softly. A friend told me that at the old shows, people would sit. Bottom of the Hill isn't really a big place, so we probably could have sat, but judging by the floor there, I'm not sure it would have been a good idea without a hazmat suit.

Particular highlights:

  • Pre-show, outside in line in 48 degree chill, watching as a dude rolls by in an early 90s Mustang 5.0 with the top down blasting Heart's Barracuda. Fucking awesome

  • The Kindness of Strangers

  • Hard to Find

  • Punk as Fuck

  • The Ever-Growing-Louder, Seemed-Like-It-Lasted-a-Lot-Longer-Than-the-Album-Length-Version, Badalamenti-Meets-Yo La Tengo We're Computerizing and We Just Don't Need You Anymore



It felt good to get out and do something fun. Since Civ 4 came out, I haven't really done much else. Jen has been playing a lot as well and refers to her sore shoulder as "Civ shoulder." Someone help us.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I still can't believe you only put Am An Set as the label on the CD you made me so I went around for months telling people I loved this crazysexycool new band Am An Set like an asshole.

But I guess it's only fair considering I still haven't given you a birthday present.

8:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Awesome show. Nothing like being rocked to sleep (in a good way) with mellow, atmospheric rock.

8:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home