Sunday, October 23, 2005

Commence the Jigglin'


Not that any of you care all that much, but I'm in the process of migrating all content off of Blogger and onto my very own server. Now, because I'm cheap, I've decided that those $7.95 a month type plans are far too expensive. The alternative? Why, just a small matter of using a dynamic IP aliasing service to resolve my home computer's IP address to an easy-to-remember web address*, then downloading and configuring an application that allows me to turn my home computer into a server, meanwhile configuring my router to permit incoming web traffic so that all you fantastic (non-existent) readers won't be greeted with 404 errors when attempting to read my blog. Oh, and since I'm ditching the lovely, template-filled world of Blogger style sheets, I need to come up with a replacement service. And since the functionality of said template is dependent upon Perl, I also need to configure Windows to place nice with that as well. That's about where I am so far. Once that's done though, it's just, ya know, creating the website after that. And that's like, totally easy.

For extra fun I decided to download a Linux distribution this weekend. Yeah, 'cuz I wasn't busy or anything.

* Note: if the previous link is non-functioning, it's because my computer is offline.

8 Comments:

Blogger Penny said...

you're a nerd

6:04 PM  
Blogger Constant said...

Just pay the $7.95 man! My brother, because he's an ass and likes to remind me what I gave up, informed me that Google stock is now at 350. I know you can afford it!

8:17 PM  
Blogger Margaret said...

Get over yourself already! Sheeeesh! ;-)

11:05 AM  
Blogger Jeff said...

Penny: And? I didn't know this?

Constant: Where's the fun in that though. I mean, this knowledge will be so useful later.

Margaret: I don't know what that means. But I don't think I like your tone. :P

11:31 AM  
Blogger Penny said...

jefe you tell me i'm a freak and that i'm crazy all the time. therefore, i am entitled to call you a nerd whenever i feel it is necessary.

9:42 PM  
Blogger Penny said...

also, you need to change my link on your page! love ya, big brotha!

9:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So your blog will be down when your computer is off? How can the Swedes, Germans, and Japanese stalk you effectively?

8:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Google stock is now at $358.

1:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home